MMO2980 - Post-medieval quarry on Woolcombe Allotment (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A possible quarry of probable post-medieval date is visible as an earthworks on aerial photographs of the 1940s onwards, to the west of Landacre gate at circa SS 8049 3569. The pit is located on steep northwest facing slopes above Sherdon Water, at c. 375 metres above Ordnance Datum. It may be the remains of disused road builders quarry or could have provided building material for the nearby post-medieval field boundaries. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF CPE/UK/1980 (F20) 4364-5 (11 April 1947).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. ENPA IRFC 2321-2 (1982).
- <3>XY SMO7574 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 NW. MD002191. [Mapped feature: #32773 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1488104, Extant 1 September 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8060 3522 (46m by 17m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1488104 (Original Monarch entry: 1488104)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NW78
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1488104
Record last edited
Sep 1 2021 12:32PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.