MMO2979 - Two post-medieval pits on Woolcombe Allotment, Exmoor (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Two small pits are visible as earthworks on aerial photographs taken in the 1940s onwards, near Kingsland Pits at c. SS 8049 3569. The pits are located on steep northwest facing slopes above Sherdon Water, between 300 and 315 metres above Ordnance Datum, and are subrectangular in shape, measuring up to c. 10 metres in size. They may be the remains of disused quarries or adits of post-medieval date. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF CPE/UK/1980 (F20) 4364-5 (11 April 1947).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. ENPA MAL INFRA RED 77014 091 (20 May 1977).
- <3>XY SMO7574 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 NW. MD002191. [Mapped feature: #32774 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1488103, Extant 1 September 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8049 3569 (54m by 29m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1488103 (Original Monarch entry: 1488103)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NW77
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1488103
Record last edited
Sep 1 2021 12:34PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.