MMO2979 - Two post-medieval pits on Woolcombe Allotment, Exmoor (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Two small pits are visible as earthworks on aerial photographs taken in the 1940s onwards, near Kingsland Pits at c. SS 80493569. The pits are located on steep northwest facing slopes above Sherdon Water, between 300 and 315 metres above Ordnance Datum, and are sub-rectangular in shape, measuring up to c. 10 metres in size. They may be the remains of disused quarries or adits of post-medieval date. [1-3]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF CPE/UK/1980 (F20) 4364-5 (11 April 1947).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. ENPA MAL INFRA RED 77014 091 (20 May 1977).
- <3> SMO7574 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 NW. MD002191.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8049 3569 (54m by 29m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1488103 (Original Monarch entry: 1488103)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NW77
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1488103
Record last edited
Oct 15 2013 3:11PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.