MMO2977 - Post-medieval quarry northwest of Newland (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A possible quarry pit of probable post-medieval date is visible on aerial photographs as earthworks near Newland, centred on circa SS 8244 3891. The pit abuts a curvilinear field boundary of possible medieval origin, but might have provided building material for a post-medieval phase of enclosure consolidation. It may have been accessed from the southeastern side. The earthworks appear shallow on aerial photographs of the 1970s and may have been infilled and levelled by ploughing. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73109 1056-7 (29 April 1973).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 540/860 (F20) 4001-2 (2 September 1952).
- <3>XY SMO7574 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 NW. MD002191. [Mapped feature: #32776 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1488087, Extant 1 September 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8243 3891 (32m by 28m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1488087 (Pastscape entry: 1488087)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NW75
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1488087
Record last edited
Sep 1 2021 12:42PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.