MMO2972 - Post-medieval or 20th Century quarry on Red Stone Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A quarry of possible post-medieval date can be seen as an earthwork on aerial photographs of the 1940s onwards, approaching the summit of Red Stone Hill at circa SS 8156 3962. The earthwork is irregularly shaped but is roughly linear, measuring circa 35 metres long and up to about 7 metres wide. Spoil appears to be dumped to the northeastern side of the pit. The precise function of the pit is unclear, but it is on a similar orientation to a much longer pit to the southeast, which may support the interpretation that it is following and exploiting a mineral resource seam, perhaps iron ore. Unlike the longer pit, however, it is not marked on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, and may therefore post date it, possibly placing its origins in the 20th Century. It remains visible on aerial photographs of 1973. [1-4] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 106G/UK/1501 (F20) 4059-60 (13 May 1946).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS-73109 1056 (29 April 1973).
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <4>XY SMO7574 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 NW. MD002191. [Mapped feature: #32781 ]
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1488064, Extant 1 September 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8156 3962 (42m by 20m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1488064 (Pastscape entry: 1488064)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NW70
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1488064
Record last edited
Sep 1 2021 1:02PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.