MMO2965 - World War Two military training site on Red Stone Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Small earthwork features visible on aerial photographs of the 1940s on Red Stone Hill, may be evidence of military training activities of Second World War date. The form of the features is unclear, but may be small spoil heaps created during the excavation of practise trenches, slit trenches or weapons pits. Although the particular purpose of the training is unclear, it is likely to be related to the broader activities of the Exmoor Firing Range. The earthwork evidence consists of possible oval or figure 8 shaped mounds circa 4 metres wide and up to 9 metres long. Some appear randomly spaced while others are clearly arranged in rows. A number of features smaller than two metres across or of unclear form are also visible in this area, but have not been transcribed, and therefore it is possible not all military features have been depicted. Most features are no longer visible on aerial photographs of 1964. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 106G/UK/1501 (F20) 4059-60 (13 May 1946).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 543/2821 (F63) 0165 (27 April 1964).
- <3>XY SMO7574 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 NW. MD002191. [Mapped feature: #46557 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1488031, Extant 1 September 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8161 3945 (601m by 296m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1488031 (Original Monarch entry: 1488031)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NW63
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1488031
Record last edited
Sep 1 2021 1:53PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.