MMO2964 - World War Two military training activity north of Honeymead Two Gates (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Slit trenches, possible structures and hard standings are visible on aerial photographs of the 1940s to the north of Honeymead Two Gates, centred approximately on circa SS 803 393. The features were probably created during military training activities of Second World War date and although the particular purpose of the training is unclear, it is likely to be related to the broader activities of the Exmoor Firing Range. The earthwork evidence consists of slit trenches from less than one metre wide and up to 15 metres long, to circular and sub-rectangular pits, possibly weapons pits dug for practice purposes, up to 6 metres across. The remains of a possible circular structure circa 3 metres in diameter can be seen at circa SS 8038 3953. A rectangular hard-standing, possibly for vehicle parking can be see at circa SS 8041 3935. However, many features are smaller than two metres across or are unclear, and therefore not all possible military remains have been transcribed. Most features are no longer visible on aerial photographs of 1952. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 106G/UK/1501 (F20) 4058-9 (13 May 1946).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 540/860 (F20) 4081-2 (2 September 1952).
- <3>XY SMO7574 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 NW. MD002191. [Mapped features: #43173 ; #43174 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1488022, Extant 1 September 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8030 3942 (601m by 284m) (2 map features)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1488022 (Pastscape entry: 1488022)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NW62
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1488022
Record last edited
Sep 1 2021 2:04PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.