MMO2955 - Post-medieval quarry above White Water (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A large quarry is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork cut into the west facing slope above White Water, Exmoor. Centred at approximately SS 7968 3801 the quarry measures some 21 metres across. The ground surrounding it is slightly uneven, possibly as a result of spoil dumping. It is depicted and annotated on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1890, suggesting it was still in use when the map was published in 1890. There is no indication as to what material was extracted here. [1-3] The feature is likely post-medieval in date. It is visible on the 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey mapping and annotated as 'old quarry', indicating the quarry was disused by the publication date, between 1902 and 1907. [4-5] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/96507 36-37 (30 March 1996).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890.
- <3>XY SMO7573 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NE. MD002190. [Mapped feature: #40658 ]
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. S Thorogood, 16 September 2013.
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1487613, Extant 23 November 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7968 3801 (46m by 23m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1487613 (Original Monarch entry: 1487613)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE158
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1487613
Record last edited
Nov 23 2021 2:36PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.