MMO2953 - Post-medieval quarry east of Winstitchin Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A large post-medieval quarry and associated spoil heaps are visible on aerial photographs as earthworks in a field east of Winstitchin Farm, Exmoor. Centred at approximately SS 7826 3893, the rectangular quarry measures approximately 55 metres in length, and is surrounded by mounds measuring up to 15 metres across. It is depicted and annotated on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1890, suggesting it was still in use at this time. It may have supplied building stone for Winstitchin Farm and its field boundaries. [1-3] The 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map annotated the site as 'old quarry', indicating the feature was disused by this time. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 543/2821 (F63) 169-70 (27 April 1964).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890.
- <3> SMO7573 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NE. MD002190.
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7826 3891 (76m by 81m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1487599 (Original Monarch entry: 1487599)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE156
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1487599
Record last edited
Sep 17 2013 1:56PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.