MMO2948 - Post-medieval pits or quarries on Burcombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
Several small pits or quarries are visible on aerial photographs as earthworks on Burcombe, Exmoor. Centred at approximately SS 7521 3806, at least five pits are visible, varying in size from 8 to 20 metres across. They lie approximately 100 metres south of the iron workings of Roman Lode, and most likely represent the remains of prospecting pits, probably dating to the post-medieval period. [1-2] The contours of these features are mapped, but not annotated on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps, implying the features were disused by 1889 or 1890. [3-4] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/96507 43-44 (30 March 1996).
- <2>XY SMO7573 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NE. MD002190. [Mapped feature: #33201 ]
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1487583, Extant 23 November 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7521 3806 (66m by 53m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1487583 (Original Monarch entry: 1487583)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE151
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1487583
Record last edited
Nov 23 2021 2:23PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.