MMO2938 - Post-medieval quarry northwest of Long Holcombe Cross (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A large rectangular depression is visible on aerial photographs in a field northwest of Long Holcombe Cross, North Molton. Centred at approximately SS 7657 3528, the quarry measures 20 metres long by 18 metres wide. It is depicted but not annotated on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, suggesting it was abandoned some time prior to publication in 1890. To the south of the main pit a small spoil heap is visible. It most likely dates to the post-medieval period, although it may also be medieval in origin. However, there is no indication as to what material was extracted here. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 543/2821 (F61) 172-73 (27 April 1964).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890.
- <3>XY SMO7573 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NE. MD002190. [Mapped feature: #33208 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1487468, Extant 23 November 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7657 3527 (44m by 45m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1487468 (Original Monarch entry: 1487468)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE141
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1487468
Record last edited
Nov 23 2021 1:53PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.