MMO2937 - Post-medieval gravel pit on Fyldon Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A small circular depression is visible on aerial photographs at the eastern edge of Fyldon Common, North Molton. Centred at approximately SS 7614 3558, the pit measures some 21 metres across. It is depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map and annotated 'Gravel Pit', suggesting it was still in use in 1890. The nearby road junction is known as Gravel Pit Cross, suggesting that the area was being exploited for gravel extraction prior to the construction of the road. The feature most likely dates to the post-medieval period. [1-2] 'Gravel Pit' is marked on the 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map, but is not visible on the 1962 Ordnance Survey map. [3-5]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/96559 69-70 (7 May 1996).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890.
- <3> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1905. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. Sheet 11SE.
- <4> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <5> SEM6967 Report: McDonnell, R.. 2008. Hangley Cleave: Report on an Archaeological Walkover Survey. 2, feature number 4.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7614 3557 (42m by 25m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1487467 (Original Monarch entry: 1487467)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 57802
- Devon SMR: SS73NE/506
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20666
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE140
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1487467
Record last edited
Jun 19 2018 4:39PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.