MMO2934 - Quarry on northern edge of Fyldon Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
A small circular pit or quarry, which is now in use as a pond, is visible on aerial photographs on the northern edge of Fyldon Common, North Molton. Centred at approximately SS 7541 3578, the pit measures some 22 metres in diameter. It is depicted but not annotated on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, suggesting it was abandoned some time prior to publication in 1889. It most likely dates to the post-medieval period, although it may also be medieval in origin. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/96559 69-70 (7 May 1996).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3>XY SMO7573 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NE. MD002190. [Mapped feature: #39957 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1487454, Extant 23 November 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7541 3579 (27m by 27m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1487454 (Original Monarch entry: 1487454)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE137
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1487454
Record last edited
Nov 23 2021 1:39PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.