MMO2916 - Post-medieval field boundaries at Winstitchen (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A series of curvilinear field boundaries are visible as low earthworks on the southern slopes of Winstitchen. Centred at approximately SS 7924 3776, the low earthen bank forms a south facing enclosure measuring 515 metres long by 236 metres wide. This enclosure is bisected by an east-west bank, which follows the contours of the slope and measure 345 metres in length. Several fragmentary boundaries running north-south can be seen in the area, most notably at SS 7937 3776 and SS 7927 3795. These banks are of a similar size and form as those forming the larger enclosure, but do not appear to be physically connected. The various boundaries most likely date to the post-medieval period, as prior to this they would have been located within the Royal Forest of Exmoor. They are not depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, indicating that they had been abandoned and removed prior to this date. However, the form and poor preservation of the banks means that the possibility of an earlier, possibly prehistoric date can not be ruled out entirely and further survey is required. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73087 613-14 (17 April 1973).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3>XY SMO7573 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NE. MD002190. [Mapped feature: #33212 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1487117, Extant 22 November 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7920 3779 (579m by 361m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1487117 (Original Monarch entry: 1487117)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE119
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1487117
Record last edited
Nov 22 2021 10:13PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.