MMO2912 - Post-medieval boundary of the former Cornham Plantation (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The boundary of the former Cornham Plantation is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork on the eastern edge of Great Cornham, Exmoor. Centred at approximately SS 7529 3913, the curvilinear bank forms an oval enclosure with two extant field boundaries. The enclosure measures approximately 165 metres across. Cornham Plantation was laid out by John Knight around the same time as Cornham Farm was built, in approximately 1825, and is depicted on both the first and second edition Ordnance Survey maps. It was removed during the early part of the 20th Century. [1-5] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 543/2821 (F63) 172-73 (27 April 1964).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1904.
- <4> SEM7231 Monograph: Orwin, C.S.. 1929. The Reclamation of Exmoor Forest. Oxford University Press. 1st Edition. 34, 38.
- <5>XY SMO7573 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NE. MD002190. [Mapped feature: #33216 ]
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1487094, Extant 22 November 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7531 3911 (131m by 170m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1487094 (Original Monarch entry: 1487094)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE115
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1487094
Record last edited
Nov 22 2021 10:01PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.