MMO2907 - Medieval or post-medieval track or hollow way south of Fyldon Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A medieval or post-medieval sunken track or hollow way is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork stretching across several fields south of Fyldon Common, North Molton. Beginning at approximately SS 7516 3524, the trackway runs north-south for some 435 metres, curving slightly westwards and fading from view at approximately SS 7495 3485. it measures between 3 and 9 metres wide, and is overlain by several post-medieval field boundaries. This trackway is most likely part of the network of tracks, hollow ways and packhorse roads which can be seen in numerous locations around the edge of the former Royal Forest of Exmoor. It perhaps connects with the hollow ways around Span Head to the north-west (MDE13191). However, unlike some of the other routes, it is not depicted on the 1816 plan of Exmoor reproduced in Orwin, and as such is likely to have been abandoned some considerable time prior to the purchase of the Forest by the Knight family. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/2082 3051-52 (19 May 1947).
- <2> SEM7231 Monograph: Orwin, C.S.. 1929. The Reclamation of Exmoor Forest. Oxford University Press. 1st Edition. Plan of Exmoor Forest 1816, facing 20.
- <3>XY SMO7573 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NE. MD002190. [Mapped feature: #33220 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1487049, Extant 22 November 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7505 3505 (220m by 401m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1487049 (Original Monarch entry: 1487049)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE110
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1487049
Record last edited
Nov 22 2021 9:38PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.