MMO2906 - Medieval or post-medieval hollow way east of Emmett's Grange (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A medieval or post-medieval hollow way is visible on aerial photographs as a curvilinear earthwork stretching across fields east of Emmetts Grange, Exmoor. Beginning at approximately SS 7558 3732, the sunken track runs approximately north-south for some 570 metres, fading from view at approximately SS 7582 3679. It varies in width from 2 to 7 metres. In several places the track is overlain by post-medieval field boundaries, which were presumably laid out around the same time as the construction of Emmett's Grange in the 1840s. This trackway is most likely part of the network of hollow ways and packhorse roads that can be seen in numerous locations around and within the former Royal Forest of Exmoor. Unlike some other routes, it is not depicted on the 1816 map of Exmoor reproduced in C.S. Orwin 1929 book, suggesting it was abandoned some considerable time prior to the purchase of the Forest by the Knight family. [1-3] SS 7563 3733. SS 7580 3722, SS 7581 3717, SS 7580 3714, SS 7581 3681. Curving linear depression changing from a north to south orientation at its southern end to northwest to southeast at its northern end. It is at least 500 metres in length, c. 5 metres in width and up to c. 0.5 metres deep and is best interpreted as a hollow way. The cross cutting relationships of the field boundaries with this feature suggest it is pre 19th Century in date, the most likely interpretation being that it is a medieval or post-medieval route across the moor. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 543/2821 (F62) 172-73 (27 April 1964).
- <2> SEM7231 Monograph: Orwin, C.S.. 1929. The Reclamation of Exmoor Forest. Oxford University Press. 1st Edition. Plan of Exmoor Forest 1816, facing 20.
- <3> SMO7573 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NE. MD002190.
- <4> SEM7641 Report: Bray, L., Green, T., Wapshott, E. + Walls, S.. 2011. Emmett's Grange, Exmoor, Somerset: Management plan and archaeological assessment. Appendix 1, 33.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7570 3705 (259m by 535m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1487039 (Original Monarch entry: 1487039)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE109
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1487039
- Report Site Reference: 185 SEM7641
Record last edited
Apr 25 2018 6:14PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.