MMO2895 - Post-medieval contour leats south of Duredon Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Four substantial post-medieval contour leats are visible on aerial photographs taken in the 1940s as earthworks south of Duredon Farm, Exmoor. On later photographs taken in the 1970s the leats have been ploughed out and are only visible as cropmarks. Centred at approximately SS 7583 3978, the leats, some of which appear to have been surrounded by low banks follow the contours of the south and southwest facing slope above Bale water and its tributaries. They cover an area of approximately 19 hectares, extending across a number of fields. The precise function of these leats is uncertain; they may be the remains of a post-medieval water meadow system, or be part of the water supply in Simonsbath. They presumably date to the mid 19th Century and are part of the Knight family's agricultural improvements in the area. [1-3] The monument polygon provided for the four leats overlaps with the polygon provided for record MMO625, a single contour leat. These were both mapped by the Exmoor National Park National Mapping Programme, therefore these are likely to be distinct monuments which may be functionally associated. However, it is worth noting that this record may discuss part of the single leat recorded in MMO625. Insufficient information is provided for a full interpretation to be made at time of writing. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 4151-52 (11 April 1947).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73109 1045-46 (29 April 1973).
- <3> SMO7573 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NE. MD002190.
- <4> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. S Thorogood, 11 September 2013.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7598 3977 (995m by 580m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1486612 (Original Monarch entry: 1486612)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE98
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1486612
Record last edited
Feb 5 2020 11:28AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.