MMO289 - Possible prehistoric clearance cairn group south of Trentishoe Down (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Centred at SS 6295 4764 on the southern slopes of Trentishoe Down is a system of small clearance cairns. The system lies on open moorland which has recently been burnt off. The ground surface has an apparently shallow depth of peat and is covered with small surface clitter. Some 37 cairns were recorded in the field. They average 1.5 metres in diameter and stand to 0.4 metres in height. They are composed of stones usually up to 0.3 metres in length (slightly larger than the stones littered over the present ground surface). The system is apparently prehistoric, although no settlement features could be found amongst the cairns or in immediate association with them. Assuming that it is prehistoric, then its proximity and relationship to the barrow group on Trentishoe Down (MDE1037) is of considerable interest. The nearest confirmed prehistoric settlement lies more than 300 metres to the north on the northern slopes of the Down (see MDE1040 and MDE8961), and also further northwest (MDE8574). The possibility that the clearance is associated with later attempts at land improvement cannot be ruled out (see MDE9001). Surveyed at 1:2500.  Several of the larger cairns are visible on aerial photographs to the east and northeast of Trentishoe Barrows. These larger cairns measure up to 6 metres in diameter, and appear to be associated with the Trentishoe Barrow group (see MDE1037). The cairns are heavily obscured by vegetation. [3,4]
- <1> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 8 July 1993.
- <2> SMO4808 Survey: Trentishoe, SS 64 NW 4, 7, 15, 31, 32, 33, 37/ink survey . 1:2500. General: Permatrace. Pen and Ink.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/72065 050-052 (15 April 2007).
- <4> SMO7554 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 64 NW. MD002171.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6291 4777 (249m by 113m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||TRENTISHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=872776 (Original Monarch entry: 872776)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 28170
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NW31
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 872776
Record last edited
Apr 23 2019 2:36PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.