MMO2885 - Post-medieval drainage system on Long Holcombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A complex series of interconnecting drainage channels is visible on aerial photographs as earthworks covering Long Holcombe, Exmoor. Centred at approximately SS 7726 3569, the ditches extend across most of Long Holcombe, covering an area of some 115 hectares. The ditches cut across the contours of the slope, channelling water from the summit of Long Holcombe into the various streams and other watercourses in the area, including Kinsford water. The ditches most likely date to the mid 19th Century and were probably part of the Knight family's attempt at agricultural improvement in the former Royal Forest. According to Orwin, many miles of drainage ditches were cut across different parts of Exmoor, but in most cases failed to provide adequate drainage. Orwin also describes the Knight family's land agent, Robert Smith, and his proposal to construct so-called "sheep drains" across the more boggy areas in an attempt to provide grazing land for stock. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. Exmoor National Park Authority Infra Red False Colour 2325-27 (1983).
- <2> SEM7231 Monograph: Orwin, C.S.. 1929. The Reclamation of Exmoor Forest. Oxford University Press. 1st Edition. 33, 57.
- <3>XY SMO7572 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NW. MD002189. [Mapped feature: #43383 ]
- <4> SEM8492 Report: Riley, H.. 2017. Archaeological Walkover Survey: Long Holcombe, Exmoor, Exmoor Mires Partnership ELH17, Project Report.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1486571, Extant 22 November 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7724 3565 (1158m by 1377m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1486571 (Original Monarch entry: 1486571)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE88
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1486571
Record last edited
Nov 22 2021 8:29PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.