MMO2883 - Post-medieval drainage ditches on Deer Park (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
An area of complex interconnecting drainage ditches, of probable post-medieval date, are visible on aerial photographs as earthworks on Deer Park, around the area of Blue Gate Iron mine. Centred at approximately SS 7628 3849, the ditches extend across an area of approximately 17 hectares, mostly following the contours of the west facing slope, although some cut across them contours. The ditches appear to drain water away from the mining area and direct it towards various watercourses and tributaries of the River Barle. The drainage system may be associated with the mining activity, but it may also be part of the large complex of drains visible to the east. According to Orwin, many miles of ditches were cut across parts of Exmoor but failed to provide adequate drainage for much of the land to be enclosed. Orwin also mentions the Knight family's land agent, Robert Smith, who advocated the construction of "sheep drains" across the boggy parts of the moor. [1-3] These are mentioned in a report on a non-intrustive walkover survey of the proposed mire restoration area on Deer Park, undertaken by the Historic Environment Officer for the Exmoor Mires Project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/96507 41-42 (30 March 1996).
- <2> SEM7231 Monograph: Orwin, C.S.. 1929. The Reclamation of Exmoor Forest. Oxford University Press. 1st Edition. 33, 57.
- <3> SMO7573 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NE. MD002190.
- <4> SEM8035 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2013. Archaeological walkover surveys on Deer Park, Exmoor. 15, 18.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7636 3835 (742m by 731m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1486560 (Original Monarch entry: 1486560)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE86
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1486560
Record last edited
Jan 31 2014 10:24AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.