MMO2867 - Medieval ridge and furrow north of Stetfold Rocks (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Evidence for ridge and furrow of probable medieval date can be seen on aerial photographs, as very denuded or levelled earthworks, at circa SS 8705 3885 about 380 metres to the north of Stetfold Rocks. The slightly curved earthwork banks of the rig are on average 8 metres apart and can be seen to cover a field of just over 2 hectares area. It is probable more ridge and furrow survives as very low earthworks in the area of Stetfold Rocks farm. [1,2] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 8738/4 (24928-11) (12 February 2008).
- <2>XY SMO7575 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 NE. MD002192. [Mapped feature: #32789 ]
- <3> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1485262, Extant 21 September 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8706 3885 (292m by 191m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||CUTCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1485262 (Pastscape entry: 1485262)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NE144
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1485262
Record last edited
Sep 21 2021 5:21PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.