MMO2861 - Possible late prehistoric or Roman enclosure on Staddon Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Subtle cropmarks visible on aerial photographs of 1985 may be forming over the remains of an enclosure of possible later prehistoric or Roman date on the north facing slopes of Staddon Hill, centred on circa SS 87693799. The cropmarks have been interpreted as revealing the plan of a bank defined rectangular enclosure measuring approximately 200 by 120 metres in size, with an internal area of circa 2.3 hectares. An external ditch and possible annexe may also be visible on the southern side of the enclosure and a north to south internal subdivision may also be visible. The function of the enclosure is unclear. It is situated well below the summit of Staddon Hill, at an elevation of between 345 and 325 metres and a strictly defensive or military role may therefore be unlikely. However, the rectangular plan is atypical of Exmoor's later prehistoric hillslope enclosures and its size unusually large for farmstead settlements of the same period. Perhaps the regular form of the enclosure is suggestive of a settlement of Romano-British influence. However, it must be considered possible that the cropmarks are simply showing over field patterns of a much later, perhaps medieval or earlier post-medieval date. [1,2] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. ENPA JAS 85042 036-8 (29 August 1985).
- <2>XY SMO7575 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 NE. MD002192. [Mapped feature: #32794 ]
- <3> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1485229, Extant 21 September 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8770 3798 (229m by 173m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||WINSFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1485229 (Pastscape entry: 1485229)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NE138
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1485229
Record last edited
Sep 21 2021 5:45PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.