MMO2857 - Post-medieval field boundary south of Middle Staddon (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A field boundary of probable post-medieval date is visible as an earthwork bank on the south facing combe slopes above the River Exe, to the south of Middle Staddon, centred on circa SS 8786 3651. The boundary bank is visible for approximately 225 metres, descending the slope from between the elevations of roughly 315 and 275 metres above Ordnance Datum respectively. For roughly the first 115 metres, a second, narrower bank can be seen to the southeast of the field boundary, offset by up to 5 metres. This may define a foot path or trackway down the slope, possibly associated with the former farmstead of Middle Staddon. The earthworks are not marked on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1890 and therefore had been removed prior this time. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF CPE/UK/1980 (F20) 4350-1 (11 April 1947).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890.
- <3>XY SMO7575 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 NE. MD002192. [Mapped feature: #32797 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1485177, Extant 21 September 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8786 3651 (155m by 178m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||WINSFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1485177 (Pastscape entry: 1485177)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NE134
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1485177
Record last edited
Sep 21 2021 5:53PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.