MMO2854 - Medieval or post-medieval field boundaries on North Brake (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Relict strip field boundaries of possible medieval or post-medieval date are visible as earthworks on North Brake, Winsford parish, centred on circa SS 8988 3664. The strip fields take the form of earthworks strip lynchets up to 10 metres wide, which can be seen to cover approximately 7 hectares of the west facing slopes of North Brake. The strips do not precisely follow the contours of the hill, instead gently climbing the hill in a northeasterly direction between circa 255 and 330 metres above Ordnance Datum. They appear to be cut by the line of later post-medieval field boundaries, as marked on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 54/2821 (F62) 150-1 (27 April 1964).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890.
- <3>XY SMO7575 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 NE. MD002192. [Mapped feature: #32800 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1485161, Extant 22 September 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8988 3661 (394m by 633m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||WINSFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1485161 (Original Monarch entry: 1485161)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NE131
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1485161
Record last edited
Sep 22 2021 8:50AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.