MMO2837 - Post-medieval water meadow at Middle Staddon (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A possible water meadow is visible on aerial photographs as earthworks at Middle Staddon. It is of a type known as catchwork or field gutter system and might have been associated with the former farm at Middle Staddon. Such water meadows are typically found on combe or hill slopes and are designed to irrigate pasture by diverting water from a spring or stream along the slope via a series of roughly parallel channels or gutters. When irrigation was required the gutters were blocked, causing water to overflow from gutter to gutter, thereby irrigating the slopes. This film of water prevented the ground freezing during the winter and raised the temperature of the grass in the spring, thereby encouraging early growth, particularly important during the hungry gap of the March and April. This gutter comprises two or three gutters; one to the southwest of the farm buildings, and two, or possibly one divided by the track to Staddon Farm, to the northeast. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF CPE/UK/1980 (F20) 4351-2 (11 April 1947).
- <2> SEM7396 Monograph: Cook, H. + Williamson, T.. 2007. Water Meadows: History, Ecology and Conservation. Windgather Press. 1st Edition. 1-7, 28-9.
- <3>XY SMO7575 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 NE. MD002192. [Mapped feature: #32814 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1485029, Extant 22 September 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8777 3661 (187m by 159m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||WINSFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1485029 (Pastscape entry: 1485029)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NE114
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1485029
Record last edited
Sep 22 2021 2:08PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.