MMO2835 - Post-medieval water meadow south of East Nethercote (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A possible water meadow system of probable post-medieval date is visible on aerial photographs as earthworks to the south of East Nethercote, centred on circa SS 87553614. The possible water meadow may be an early example of a type known as a catch-work or field-gutter system. It is relatively small, covering an area of less than 2 hectares, but displays a number of unusual characteristics in comparison with the majority of catch-works on Exmoor. For instance, the channels interpreted as gutters are situated towards the valley bottom, rather than arrayed along the on the steeper slopes. In addition they are extremely irregular in form, resembling the dendritic pattern of natural water-courses rather than the carefully laid out countour-leats of the 19th century water-meadow. Nonetheless, they appear to tap a spring-fed stream that rises to the north of East Nethercote before draining into the River Exe, to the south and it is possible the water-meadow is associated with the 17th century occupation, and alterations, of West Nethercote House. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF CPE/UK/1980 (F20) 4351-2 (11 April 1947).
- <2> SEM7396 Monograph: Cook, H. + Williamson, T.. 2007. Water Meadows: History, Ecology and Conservation. Windgather Press. 1st Edition. 1-7, 28-9.
- <3>XY SMO7575 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 NE. MD002192. [Mapped feature: #32816 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1485023, Extant 22 September 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8761 3616 (383m by 116m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||WINSFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1485018 (Pastscape entry: 1485018)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NE112
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1485018
Record last edited
Sep 22 2021 2:18PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.