MMO2831 - Post-medieval quarrying adjacent to Holloway Lane (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A small group of pits are visible as earthworks on aerial photographs of the 1940s onwards, centred on circa SS 8795 3926, immediately to the south of the track known as Holloway Lane. Two of the earthworks visible on aerial photographs correspond with quarries depicted in this location on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map , and the earthworks are therefore probably the remains of quarries of post-medieval date. It is possible the pits were created while excavating for road building materials. However, the earthworks visible on aerial photographs are slightly more extensive than those indicated on the historic map and it is likely extraction continued into the late 19th or early 20th Century, possibly damaging the western end of a hollow way immediately to the south in the process. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF CPE/UK/1980 (F20) 3275-6 (11 April 1947).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890.
- <3>XY SMO7575 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 NE. MD002192. [Mapped feature: #32817 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1485003, Extant 22 September 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8796 3925 (157m by 77m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||CUTCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1485003 (Pastscape entry: 1485003)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NE110
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1485003
Record last edited
Sep 22 2021 2:24PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.