MMO2830 - Post-medieval or modern quarry pits on Kitnor Heath (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A small group of linear pits are visible as earthworks on the south facing slopes of Kitnor Heath, centred on circa SS 8745 3973, on aerial photographs of the 1940s onwards. They are not marked on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map , but the earthworks are probably the remains of quarries or prospecting pits of post-medieval or early 20th century date. The precise function of the pits is unclear, but their east-west orientation, which echoes that of a much larger group of earthworks approximately 200 metres to the south with which they are probably associated, may support the interpretation that they were following a mineral resource. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF CPE/UK/1980 (F20) 3276-7 (11 April 1947).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890.
- <3>XY SMO7575 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 NE. MD002192. [Mapped feature: #32818 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1485001, Extant 22 September 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8745 3973 (60m by 14m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||CUTCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1485001 (Pastscape entry: 1485001)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NE109
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1485001
Record last edited
Sep 22 2021 2:28PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.