MMO2829 - Post-medieval or modern quarries or extractive pits on Kitnor Heath (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
Extensive linear pits are visible as earthworks on aerial photographs of the 1940s onwards, on the south facing slopes of Kitnor Heath at circa SS 8729 3951. The earthworks are probably the remains of quarries or mineral prospecting pits of post-medieval date and early 20th Century date. The pits are divided into two groups by a trackway running northwest to southeast over Kitnor Heath. To the west of the path are the older and more extensive pits. Large spoil heaps can be seen on the southern edge of a number of these pits, cut, as most of the features are, by numerous entrances or barrow tracks. These pits are depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map and annotated as Old Quarries, indicating they may had probably passed out of use by 1890. The focus of extraction may have shifted to the east of the path by this time, where a single small pit is depicted on the 1st Edition map. By the publication of the 2nd Edition map in 1903 this area has developed, and two more substantial diggings can be seen. It is probable that extraction continued here for some time subsequent to 1903 as the two pits have merged into a single larger excavation by 1947. Again, entrance tracks indicating access was gained to these pits from downslope. The precise function of the pits is unclear, but their east-west orientation may support the interpretation that they were following a seam of a mineral resource, perhaps iron. [1-6] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF CPE/UK/1980 (F20) 3276-7 (11 April 1947).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 58/5159 (F22) 0226-7 (4 June 1962).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 8739/1 (15869/16) (20 January 1998).
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890.
- <5> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1903.
- <6>XY SMO7575 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 NE. MD002192. [Mapped feature: #32819 ]
- <7> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1484999, Extant 22 September 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8725 3950 (454m by 125m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||CUTCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1484999 (Pastscape entry: 1484999)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NE108
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1484999
Record last edited
Sep 22 2021 2:33PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.