MMO2827 - Post-medieval quarry pit east of Codsend (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A pit, possibly the remains of quarry of post-medieval date, is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork to the east of Codsend, centred approximately on SS 8874 3979. The pit is irregularly shaped and follows the eastern side of a field boundary northwards from the Codsend bridge road for over 50 metres, and measures up to 25 wide at its widest point. A pit is marked on the on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps in this area, but the depicted feature appears significantly smaller that that visible on the aerial photographs. It may therefore have originated as a quarry for building material, perhaps for the road, but continued in use into the 20th Century. [1-5] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF CPE/UK/1980 (F20) 3273-4 (11 April 1947).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73109 1067-8 (29 April )973.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890.
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1903.
- <5>XY SMO7575 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 NE. MD002192. [Mapped feature: #32821 ]
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1484988, Extant 22 September 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8874 3978 (54m by 64m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||CUTCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1484988 (Pastscape entry: 1484988)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NE106
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1484988
Record last edited
Sep 22 2021 2:51PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.