MMO2826 - Post-medieval quarry northwest of Stone Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A pit, probably the remains of quarry of post-medieval date, is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork centred on circa SS 8631 3925, roughly equidistant between Prescott and Stone Lane. The pit abuts the line of a former field boundary on its western side, but extends in an irregularly north-easterly direction for approximately 40 metres from the former boundary on its eastern edge. It measures up to circa 20 metres wide. The pit and field boundary it abuts are marked on the on the first edition Ordnance Survey map of 1890 but the pit is not annotated. By the publication of the second edition map in 1903 the pit is marked as Old Quarry and may therefore have passed out of use by this time. [1-5] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF CPE/UK/1980 (F20) 3278-9 (11 April 1947).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 54/2821 (F63) 156-7 (27 April 1964).
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890.
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1903.
- <5>XY SMO7575 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 NE. MD002192. [Mapped feature: #43880 ]
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1484985, Extant 22 September 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8631 3925 (40m by 50m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1484985 (Pastscape entry: 1484985)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NE105
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1484985
Record last edited
Sep 22 2021 2:53PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.