MMO2818 - Post-medieval quarry on Lyncombe Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A quarry pits of probable post-medieval date is visible on aerial photographs as an earthworks on Lyncombe Hill, centred on circa SS 8670 3688. The irregularly shaped pit measures approximately 26 metres long and 10 wide, and is orientated roughly northeast to southwest. An entrance track is not immediately apparent. The pit corresponds with an old quarry marked in this location on the on the 1stEdition Ordnance Survey map of 1890 and therefore had probable passed out of use by this date. The particular purpose of the pit is unclear, although a smaller pit visible some 75 metres to the southeast may be evidence of mineral prospection in this area. The pit is still visible, although somewhat obscured by vegetation, on aerial photographs of 1985. [1-3] Semi circular quarried (?) depression against hedge and one marked by Ordnance Survey as an old quarry. [4-6] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 54/2821 (F62) 154-5 (27 April 1964).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. ENPA JAS/85042 036 (29 August 1985).
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. CPE/UK/1980 4353 (April 1947).
- <4>XY SMO7575 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 NE. MD002192. [Mapped feature: #32828 ]
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. HSL/UK/71-177 86/8630 (September 1971).
- <6> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS8636B.
- <7> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1484934, Extant 22 September 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8667 3690 (29m by 24m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||WINSFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1484934 (Pastscape entry: 1484934)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NE97
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1484934
Record last edited
Sep 22 2021 3:26PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.