MMO2816 - Post-medieval quarry pits on Bye Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Two quarry pits of probable post-medieval date are visible on aerial photographs as earthworks on Bye Hill, centred on circa SS 8925 3562. The pits are irregularly shaped with no entrance track immediately apparent. The easternmost pit, which measures over 35 metres long and circa 11 wide, corresponds with a quarry marked in this location on the on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1890. The western earthwork, measuring circa 27 metres long and up to 11 wide, also corresponds with a elongated pit marked on the historic map, but this feature is annotated. It seems probable, however, that this is also a quarry, albeit one which may have passed out of use. The particular purpose of the pits is unclear, but these two are the only examples of confirmed quarries depicted on the historic map in this area. A further 8 smaller pits recorded distributed over the summit of Bye Hill may be evidence of mineral prospection. Most of these smaller pits appear to have been levelled by the 1970s. [1-4] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF CPE/UK/1944 4160-1 (23 January 1947).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73086 804-5 (17 April 1973).
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890.
- <4>XY SMO7575 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 NE. MD002192. [Mapped feature: #41701 ]
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1484918, Extant 22 September 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8926 3562 (89m by 52m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||WINSFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1484918 (Original Monarch entry: 1484918)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NE95
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1484918
Record last edited
Sep 22 2021 3:31PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.