MMO2804 - Possible medieval or post-medieval trackway south of Mole's Chamber (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Irregular linear depressions to the southwest of Mole's Chamber may represent old trackways or flood channels. They are visible on aerial photographs taken in 1947 and 1977. [1-3] A number of linear hollows and sunken features are visible on aerial photographs south of Mole's Chamber, Brayford. Beginning at approximately SS 7185 3908, the earthworks run approximately southeast to northwest before fading from view at approximately SS 7168 3920. The earthworks resemble a possible trackway or hollow way, probably dating to the medieval or post-medieval periods, althought visually it appears quite different to the trackways previously recorded in the area. It may be a natural feature formed by flood channels, and further survey is required. [4,5]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/CPE/UK/1980.3444 (April 1947).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAM/14/051 (May 1977).
- <3> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7139b.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 3444-45 (11 April 1947).
- <5>XY SMO7572 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NW. MD002189. [Mapped feature: #43203 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7177 3914 (186m by 131m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||BRAYFORD, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1484852 (Pastscape entry: 1484852)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17831
- Devon SMR: SS73NW/555
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20445
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NW142
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1484852
Record last edited
Aug 30 2020 10:47PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.