MMO2801 - Medieval or post-medieval field boundary north of Comer's Cross (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
The course of a former field boundary or footpath of possible medieval or post-medieval date is visible on aerial photographs as a cropmark on the south facing slopes of Room Hill centred on circa SS 8605 3587, to the north of Comer's Cross. The feature is visible, in total, for over 260 metres, climbing to the summit of Room Hill, over an area which remained depicted as unimproved pasture on the second edition Ordnance Survey map. The feature may have survived as an earthwork well into the twentieth century and can just be seen as a possible low earthwork or dark cropmark in improved pasture on aerial photographs of the 1940s, but by the 1970s is visible only as a soilmark or cropmark. It does not appear to bear any relation to the extant, probably 19th century field boundaries and may represent the course of an earlier route, echoing that of Room Hill road by following the Winsford Hill ridge to the northwest. [1-3] The feature was previously mapped during a survey of aerial photographs in the 1980s. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF CPE/UK/1980 (F20) 4354-5 (11 April 1947).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. ENPA MAL/77014 084-6 EXMOOR 77 INFRA-RED (20 May 1977).
- <3> SMO7575 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 NE. MD002192.
- <4> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS83NE.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8604 3586 (104m by 268m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||WINSFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1484840 (Pastscape entry: 1484840)
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1484840
Record last edited
Sep 1 2017 10:04AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.