MMO2797 - Medieval or post-medieval trackway north of Comerslade (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A trackway of probable medieval or post-medieval date is visible as a series of earthworks around a narrow stream north of Comerslade, Exmoor. Beginning at approximately SS 7369 3778 the trackway is visible as a number of interweaving sunken ruts and hollows, and runs approximately east to west, curving slightly towards the north for some 365 metres. It fades from view at approximately SS 7334 3787. The track strongly resembles the "ancient trackway" recorded between Lynton and South Molton (see MMO495) and may in fact be part of this routeway, or a separate route which linked to the main road. On the map of Exmoor in 1816, reproduced in Orwin , the area is annotated "Watering place No. 17," indicating that a road or trackway of some sort passed through here. Nearby the Barnstaple to Exford Road is marked on the map. However, there is no trace of this routeway on the 1891 Ordnance Survey map , suggesting it is more likely to be a separate route. [1-4]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73087 621-22 (17 April 1973).
- <2> SEM7231 Monograph: Orwin, C.S.. 1929. The Reclamation of Exmoor Forest. Oxford University Press. 1st Edition. Map facing p20, "Exmoor Forest at the time of Inclosure 1816".
- <3> SEM6705 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1896. County Series, First Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1891.
- <4>XY SMO7572 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NW. MD002189. [Mapped feature: #33152 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7351 3781 (372m by 142m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1484769 (Pastscape entry: 1484769)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NW137
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1484769
Record last edited
Aug 19 2020 11:13AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.