MMO2795 - Mount Pleasant, including building remains and adjacent field system (Monument)

Summary

Low earthwork banks forming a rectangular enclosure are visible on aerial photographs. Within the enclosure at least two walls of a ruined square building, labelled "Mount Pleasant" on historic maps, can be seen.

Please read the .

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status

Full Description

Mount Pleasant. Low banks forming the remains of a small building, now a ruin, are visible on aerial photographs. [1,2] Low earthwork banks forming rectangular enclosures are visible on aerial photographs southwest of North Twitchen, North Molton. Within the enclosure at least two walls of a ruined square building, of probable post-medieval date, can be seen. The regular linear banks and name "Mount Pleasant" (see below) suggest a post-medieval rather than medieval date. Centred at approximately SS 7255 3710, the main bank runs approximately northwest to southeast between the road and the stream which flows into Sherracombe, effectively dividing North Twitchen and Sherracombe. This bank is further subdived by perpendicular boundaries which join along its course, creating two rectangular enclosures measuring approximately 100 metres long by 115 metres wide, and 160 metres long by 115 metres wide. The ruined building lies within a third enclosure which in turn lies within this larger enclosure. The third enclosure is much narrower than the other two, measuring 50 metres long by 25 metres wide, and resembles a yard or garden. Two surviving walls of the building can be seen, although they appear to be substantially reduced in height. These walls form a corner of the building, which measures 11 metres by ten metres. West of the building two small quarries are visible (see MMO2752) which may have been opened to provide building stone for the enclosure or structure. The building and enclosures are depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1889, annotated "Mount Pleasant ruin." The name "Mount Pleasant" suggests a dwelling place rather than a barn or other stock facility. There is no indication as to when the building was constructed; however, it was clearly abandoned some time prior to 1889. [3-5] The site is clear on the Tithe Map for North Molton, suggesting the enclosure boundaries and building remains post date the survey date. [6]

Sources/Archives (6)

  • <1> Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/CPE/UK/1980 4442 (April 1947).
  • <2> Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7237A.
  • <3> Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1655 3403-06 (11 July 1946).
  • <4> Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
  • <5> Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NW. MD002189.
  • <6> Map: 1841. North Molton Tithe Map and Apportionment.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SS 7260 3712 (256m by 167m) (Aerial Survey)
Map sheet SS73NW
Civil Parish NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (1)

Other Statuses/References

  • Devon SMR Monument ID: 17835
  • Devon SMR: SS73NW/560
  • Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20449
  • National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NW135
  • Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1484751

Record last edited

Sep 2 2020 10:25AM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.