MMO2793 - Medieval or post-medieval field boundary east of Sherracombe Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A curvilinear bank visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork immediately east of Sherracombe Farm, North Molton, is most likely the remains of a medieval or post-medieval field boundary. Centred at approximately SS 7196 3595, the bank runs approximately north to south, curving significantly to the east in the northern half. It measures approximately 210 metres long by up to 5 metres wide, although its width may have been exaggerated by ploughing. It appears that the boundary divided the extant field into two smaller enclosures, but its alignment is quite irregular compared to that of the extant boundaries. The boundary is not depicted on the 1t Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1890, suggesting it was removed prior to this date. The curvilinear form of the bank is reminiscent of medieval field boundaries, and it it seems likely that the bank was removed in the post-medieval period, probably to create a larger field. [1-3]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73086 829-30 (17 April 1973).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890.
- <3>XY SMO7572 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NW. MD002189. [Mapped feature: #33154 Extent of earthwork seen on aerial photographs, ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7198 3593 (105m by 190m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1484725 (Pastscape entry: 1484725)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NW133
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1484725
Record last edited
Aug 30 2020 11:48PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.