MMO2784 - Possible Bronze Age barrow or cairn on Whitefield Down (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A low round mound was noted on aerial photographs northwest of Sherracombe Ford. [1-3] A circular mound is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork north of Sherracombe Ford on the slopes of Whitefield Down, Brayford. Centred at approximately SS 7176 3673, the mound measures approximately 14 metres across. There is no indication of a surrounding ditch or hollow. Its form and position, located on high ground overlooking Sherracombe, are indicative of a possible prehistoric funerary monument, most likely a Bronze Age barrow or cairn. A second possible cairn lies 35 metres west of this monument, and a previously recorded barrow can be seen 500 metres to the northeast (see MMO2784 and MDE1197). [1,4]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 4441-42 (11 April 1947).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAM/14/101 (May 1977).
- <3> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7135C.
- <4>XY SMO7572 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NW. MD002189. [Mapped feature: #46678 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7176 3673 (17m by 18m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||BRAYFORD, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1484618 (Pastscape entry: 1484618)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17823
- Devon SMR: SS73NW/547
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20437
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NW124
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1484618
Record last edited
Aug 31 2020 9:07PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.