MMO2781 - Medieval strip lynchets southwest of Muxworthy Cottage (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A pair of linear cropmarks are visible on aerial photographs in a field southwest of Muxworthy Cottage, Brayford, and have been interpreted as the remains of medieval strip lynchets. Centred at approximately SS 7079 3754, the cropmarks are visible as an S shaped line of darker growth measuring 150 metres long by 2 to 3 metres wide. They run roughly north to south, curving from east to west and therefore appearing to follow the contours of the slope. They are similar in size and form to the earthwork strip lynchets visible to the east (see MMO2780), and lie on the same alignment as both the strip lynchets and the extant field boundaries. There are no boundaries at this location depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1890, indicating that they were most like removed and ploughed out some time prior to publication. Like the strip lynchets to the east, they lie parallel to the extant boundaries, which suggests that the pattern of fields around Muxworthy has changed little since medieval times, with the strip lynchets evolving into boundaries or being removed to create larger fields over a period of years. [1-3]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/2082 4056-58 (19 May 1947).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890.
- <3>XY SMO7572 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NW. MD002189. [Mapped feature: #33163 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7079 3753 (144m by 134m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||BRAYFORD, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1484599 (Pastscape entry: 1484599)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NW121
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1484599
Record last edited
Aug 31 2020 9:22PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.