MMO2775 - Possible medieval enclosure remains to northwest of Rockley (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
McDonnell records low banks forming old field boundaries and the remains of rectangular buildings, shown well on aerial photographs taken in 1947. [1,2] Several low banks forming enclosures are visible as earthworks on aerial photographs west of Rockley Farm, Brayford. Centred at approximately SS 7026 3835, the banks form two rectangular enclosures adjacent to Rockley Lane. The enclosures are aligned approximately northwest to southeast, and therefore lie on an opposite alignment to the extant boundaries in the area. There is a possibility that these enclosures have been truncated by Rockley Lane to the north. The larger of the two, at SS 7026 3840, measures approximately 51 metres by 37 metres, while the smaller, at SS 7031 3841 measures approximately 25 metres by 10 metres. As stated above, however, both may have been truncated. Each of the enclosures is defined by a bank approximately 3.5 metres wide. The third enclosure, at SS 7023 3831 is formed by an almost curvilinear bank, and again lies on a different alignment, similar to the two rectangular enclosures to the north. This enclosure measures approximately 100 metres by 50 metres, and may have been subdivided internally. The bank itself is no more than 3 metres wide. The form of the three enclosures suggests a medieval date. None are depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, suggesting they had been abandoned some time before publication in 1890. It is possible that the remains represent a neighbouring farm to Rockley, now deserted, or that Rockley itself is the remains of a shrunken hamlet or other settlement. [3-5]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/CPE/UK/1980 3343 (April 1947).
- <2> SEM6911 Report: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Report on the Survey of Aerial Photography in the CRAAGS Region. Gazetteer No. SS7038B.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 4143-44 (11 April 1947).
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890.
- <5>XY SMO7572 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NW. MD002189. [Mapped feature: #33166 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7026 3835 (205m by 176m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||BRAYFORD, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1484512 (Original Monarch entry: 1484512)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17820
- Devon SMR: SS73NW/544
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20434
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NW115
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1484512
Record last edited
Aug 31 2020 9:57PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.