MMO2773 - Post-medieval trackway on Great Cornham (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A possible trackway or hollow way is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs south west of Great Cornham, Exmoor. Centred at approximately SS 7423 3918, the track is visible as a narrow linear hollow running approximately northwest to southeast along the line of the 370 metre contour. It continues for 180 metres before fading from view, and is approximately 2 metres wide. It most likely dates to the post-medieval period, and is possibly associated with the nearby quarries. It is not depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, indicating that it had either been abandoned prior to publication in 1890 or constructed afterwards. [1-3]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73109 1043-44 (29 April 1973).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890.
- <3>XY SMO7572 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NW. MD002189. [Mapped feature: #33167 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7426 3919 (164m by 100m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1484493 (Pastscape entry: 1484493)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NW113
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1484493
Record last edited
Mar 17 2021 2:07PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.