MMO2770 - Medieval and/or post-medieval enclosures at Little Vintcombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A low earthwork bank defining two small enclosures is visible on aerial photographs on Little Vintcombe, southwest of the River Barle, Exmoor. Centred at approximately SS 7345 3943, the bank forms a rectangular enclosure measuring 35 metres long and 25 metres wide, aligned approximately north to south, with the small unnamed stream forming the southern boundary. On its western side, the boundary continues north to south to form the corner of a second enclosure measuring 35 metres wide and at least 30 metres long. The northern boundary of this larger enclosure fades from view at approximately SS 7339 3944. Again the stream appears to be used for the southern edge of the enclosure. The bank itself is fairly narrow, measuring between 1.5 and 2 metres wide. There is no such feature depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1890, which suggests these features are more likely related to the medieval and early post-medieval Royal Forest of Exmoor, rather than the 19th Century use. However, a precise date and function remain uncertain. [1-3]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 3447-48 (11 April 1947).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890.
- <3>XY SMO7572 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NW. MD002189. [Mapped feature: #33170 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7344 3944 (96m by 42m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1484474 (Original Monarch entry: 1484474)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NW110
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1484474
Record last edited
Aug 31 2020 10:25PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.