MMO2766 - 19th Century peat cutting on western side of Squallacombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A large area of peat cutting, of probable post-medieval date, is visible as numerous small pits and irregular earthworks on the western side of Squallacombe, Exmoor, close to the county boundary between Devon and Somerset. Centred at approximately SS 7257 3845 the earthworks cover an area of close to 11 hectares, and are of a variety of shapes and sizes, from square pits measuring 3 metres across, to less regularly shaped, curved pits up to 15 metres across. Due to the vast number of pits visible on aerial photographs, only a representative sample has been transcribed, indicating distribution and form. The earthworks do not extend beyond the county boundary and are entirely within Somerset. The workings most likely date to the mid 19th Century, after the acquisition of the Former Royal Forest of Exmoor by the Knight Family, since before this date the area would have been within the forest. It is not clear whether the peat was extracted for domestic fuel, or for turfing enclosure walls. The cuttings were most likely abandoned in the late 19th or 20th Century. Peat cutting is known to have continued on Exmoor until very recently, and may continue in places. [1-3] A study of the archaeology and history of peat exploitation on Exmoor’s moorlands provides additional background on the practice and sites. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 543/2821 (F63) 178-79 (27 April 1964).
- <2> SEM7230 Monograph: Burton, R.A.. 1989. The Heritage of Exmoor. Roger A. Burton. 232-33.
- <3>XY SMO7572 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NW. MD002189. [Mapped feature: #38947 ]
- <4> SEM8135 Report: Riley, H.. 2014. Turf Cutting on Exmoor: An archaeological and historical study - project report.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7257 3840 (389m by 495m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1484452 (Pastscape entry: 1484452)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NW106
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1484452
Record last edited
Aug 31 2020 10:36PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.