MMO2762 - Post-medieval quarry west of Mole's Chamber (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
"Old Quarry" shown on 6 inch 2nd Edition and 1963 Ordnance Survey maps. [1,2] A sub circular quarry or pit, of probable post-medieval origin, is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork at Mole's Chamber, Exmoor. Centred at SS 7175 3937, the quarry measures approximately 35 metres across. It is shallower at its western edge, suggesting it was possibly cut in two separate phases. A quarry is depicted and annotated at this location on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1889, suggesting that it was in use at the time of publication. There is no indication as to what material was being extracted here, although it is likely to have been building stone used for constructing field boundaries nearby. [3-5]
- <1> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1905.
- <2> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/2082 4104-05 (19 May 1947).
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <5>XY SMO7572 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NW. MD002189. [Mapped feature: #46681 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7175 3937 (42m by 42m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1484377 (Pastscape entry: 1484377)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 32760
- Devon SMR: SS73NW/588
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21222
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NW102
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1484377
Record last edited
Aug 31 2020 10:52PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.