MMO2755 - Castle Quarries (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
"Castle Quarries" (SS 7055 3882) and "Old Quarry" (SS 7067 3883) shown on 6 inch 1905 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map.  "Castle Quarries (disused)" (SS 7055 3882) and "Old Quarry" (SS 7067 3883) shown on 1963 map.  A number of small, scattered pits and quarries are visible as earthworks on either side of the road south of Shoulsbarrow Castle, Brayford. Numerous irregularly shaped pits extend across four fields, covering an area of approximately 2 hectares. The largest of the quarries, at SS 7047 3883 and SS 7060 3884 measure 52 and 21 metres across respectively. There is no indication as to what material was extracted here, but the shape of the several of the quarries suggests a number of pits were dug and expanded separately, eventually merging into one another, which may indicate a mineral seam was being exploited. Several of the quarries are depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map and annotated "Castle Quarries" suggesting that they were in use at the time of publication in 1889. They presumably predate the post-medieval field boundaries of the fields they lie in, since several of the quarries are bisected by hedgelines. By the time the 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map was published in 1904, several of the quarries are annotated "old quarry" which may indicate that production here was being scaled back in the early 20th Century. [3-6]
- <1> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1905.
- <2> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/2082 4103-04 (19 May 1947).
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <5> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904.
- <6> SMO7572 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NW. MD002189.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7056 3880 (262m by 134m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||BRAYFORD, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1484339 (Pastscape entry: 1484339)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 32593
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 32758
- Devon SMR: SS73NW/506
- Devon SMR: SS73NW/590
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21217
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21221
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NW95
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1484339
Record last edited
Aug 31 2020 11:11PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.