MMO2751 - Post-medieval quarry west of Five Barrows (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A circular pit visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs is marked on modern maps as a pond but shown as a quarry on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey. Centred at approximately SS 7279 3708, the pit measures approximately 18 metres across. It most likely dates to the post-medieval period, and filled with water after being abandoned some time after 1889. [1-4]
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3> SEM7725 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2004. 1:10000, 2004. 1:10,000.
- <4>XY SMO7572 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NW. MD002189. [Mapped feature: #46685 ]
- <11> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/96559 13-14 (7 May 1996).
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7279 3708 (22m by 23m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1484306 (Pastscape entry: 1484306)
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1484306
Record last edited
Sep 2 2020 10:33AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.