MMO2747 - Medieval or post-medieval quarry north of Five Barrows Cross (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A small shallow depression visible on aerial photographs immediately north of Five Barrows Cross, North Molton, has been interpreted as a probable medieval or post-medieval quarry or extractive pit. Centred at SS 7317 3623, the pit measures approximately 20 metres across. It appears fairly shallow, and may have been at least partially backfilled. No quarries are depicted in this area on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1889, suggesting it had been abandoned by this date. [1-3] The feature also does not appear on the 2nd Edition map. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/96559 73-74 (7 May 1996).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3>XY SMO7572 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NW. MD002189. [Mapped feature: #43687 ]
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7317 3623 (22m by 31m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1484290 (Pastscape entry: 1484290)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 SW87
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1484290
Record last edited
Sep 2 2020 10:58AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.