MMO2710 - Post-medieval quarry southeast of Ranscombe Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The remains of a quarry pit of probable post-medieval date are visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork circa 750 metres to the northwest of Cowbridge, at circa SS 9492 4285. The pit is circular and measures approximately 14 metres in diameter. The function of the quarry is unclear from the aerial photographs alone. A quarry is not explicitly depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. However, a small area equating to that of the quarry is depicted as rough ground or scrub. This may support the interpretation that, by 1889, the quarry had passed out of use some but the pit had not yet been infilled and the area returned to agricultural use. [1-3]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 58/2665 (F21) 0075-6 (8 January 1959).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3>XY SMO7569 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 94 SW. MD002186. [Mapped feature: #46647 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9492 4281 (19m by 19m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||WOOTTON COURTENAY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1482864 (Pastscape entry: 1482864)
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1482864
Record last edited
Aug 12 2020 10:56AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.