MMO271 - (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
SS 5922 4762. The remains of ploughed down fields in the area to the south west of East Challacombe Farm. They are visible as well defined curvilinear lynchets, 1m to 1.5m high and up to 3.4m wide, in a pasture field. There is nothing evident on air photos (a) or the 1899 Ordnance Survey Maps (b). The lynchets would appear to be the remains of ploughed out hedge lines predating the present enclosure. (Not Surveyed. Sketch for information only). (1) A curvilinear earthwork to the south-west of East Challocombe Farm centred at SS 5922 4762 has previously been identified as the remains of lynchets or ploughed out hedgelines. When seen on aerial photographs the earthwork consists of a linear ditch feature running approximately north-south before turning 90 degrees east towards East Challocombe farm. A similar feature in the adjacent field to the south appears to connect with this ditch. It is more likely that this feature is a medieval or post medieval hollow way connected to the hollow way and earthworks recorded as NMR UID 1460158. These features are believed to be associated with the deserted settlement at Netherton (see NMR UID 34105) (1-5).
- --- SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/89114 652 04-MAY-1989.
- --- SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . OS 1899 1:2500 Devon Sheets 1:16, 5:4.
- --- SMO7102 Aerial photograph: SAINSBURY, ISS. Aerial photograph. RAF AP's 106G/UK 1655/3177-78 Jul-46.
- --- SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. F1 ISS 24-MAR-1993.
- --- SMO7548 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 54 NE. MD002165.
No mapped location recorded.
|Grid reference||Not recorded|
|Map sheet||Not recorded|
|Civil Parish||COMBE MARTIN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=616426 (Pastscape entry: 616426)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 50076
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 616426
Record last edited
Jan 31 2011 4:42PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.